League Cup Quarter-Final Preview: The Economist vs the Filthy Wealth

Last time out against Fulham, the pre-match stats tilted much against the Cottagers just as that building in Piza and against Manchester City tonight, same can be said. Most glaring of all being that we have never lost a home tie at the Emirates in domestic Cup competitions.

I’d rather not dwell on such stats, or on what could have been against Fulham, and focus on the match itself. Had the date read August 29, the above record would stand little chance of being after 90 minutes against such formidable opposition. Now however, certain factors have evened the balance and given Arsenal a realistic chance of making the League Cup semi finals… yet again.

Starting with the visitors. Having played virtually or all of the encounter on Sunday at Liverpool, we’re likely to not see ex-Gunner Gäel Clichy, James Milner and Yaya Toure feature after the trim saw out that pulsating match while David Silva (substituted at 90) and Sergio Aguero (at 82) will likely be rested.

Gareth Barry is out suspended along with the bi-polar Mario Balotteli while any one of Vincent Kompany or Joleon Lescott may be rested for Kolo Toure as both played all 90 minutes as well. All that said, this is City we’re talking about…

Edin Dzeko will definitely start and I reckon Pablo Zabaleta, Andy Johnson, Nigel de Jong and fan favourite $amir Nasri will start as well, which makes for a strong opposition against us tonight; not to mention a most capable Joe Hart in goal for them.

Hence, having brushed aside any notion of facing a weak (by fitness or quality) opposition, onto Arsène Wenger’s headache of what team to select appropriate enough to face City tonight and keep to his League Cup tradition.

Oxlade Chamberlain & Park Chu Yung are going to start the game, so too Emmanuel Frimpong, but le Professeur says 90% of the squad he knows already and the remaining 10% yet to be sorted. Arshavin after talking about him not playing enough games as his ‘abilities’ deserve before the Fulham draw, he’s done same for Yossi Benayoun ahead of tonight game so I believe the Israeli captain will start.

Possible line-up: Fabianski-Yenaris-Koscielny-Vermaelen-Santos-Frimpong-AOC, Benayoun-Coquelin-Gervinho-Park

In the end, I expect City to play defensive as it’s the approach manager Roberto Mancini has come to the Emirates with the past two seasons. Hopefully, the lads will come good tonight in the quest for a place in the last four. See you at the end of the game. COYG!!!!!

Illuminatish

Follow us on twitter @goonermemoirs

About these ads

Posted on November 29, 2011, in News and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. 6 Comments.

  1. I like the your starting line up.. Let’s hope for a win O:) #COYG!!!

  2. Ok.. no offense here.. wtf shouldnt arsene play the first team.. we need this.. and citys 2nd team is just as capable as the first.. and if we are serious about winning anything this season, lets take the cups seriously.. at least as it stands we got better chances of winning both cups ahead of finishing 2nd in the league or winning the Champs League. i think we should put a strong team out tonight and we can play the Original league cup Team for the last match in the champs league with the intention of resting the first team.. afterall we head that group.. But yet again.. what do i know.. Arsene Knows best. Good luck Today!! Till Death.

  3. SmkyRobbs couldn’t disagree more with you.

    The League Cup is not very important. We are going to struggle for a top 4 finish and we need to keep what is left of our best 11 fit. I wouldn’t play them tonight or in champions League next weekend. One game a week is plenty.

    I would also enjoy seeing the Ox, Park Yennaris etc and this and next week is their chance. The Prof. knows and on that you are spot on!

  4. Smokey are u forgetn thr is smfn like injuries…frm d fulham game it ws obvious our players were tired..rest is needed and all players hav their role to play….COYG!!!!

  5. Let’s give it our all boiz,go gunners!!

Follow

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.

Join 55 other followers

%d bloggers like this: